We are seeking an experienced Criminal Lawyer to join our rapidly growing law firm practice in Peoria, IL. This person will be responsible for representing clients in serious felony cases, conduct research, conduct hearings, and co-chair felony trials, pre- and post-conviction cases and appeals. Can work virtual within a 100 mile radius.
1. Court Activities (33%)
- Represent clients in court.
- Present evidence to a judge and/or jury in court.
- Conduct interviews with police officers and witnesses
- Negotiate plea offers with prosecutors
- Travel to jail to meet with in-custody defendants.
2. Trial Work (33%)
- Conduct research and analysis
- Devise an effective winning strategies
- Interpret laws for clients and help them to understand their legal options.
3. Post-conviction Work and Appeals (33%)
- Team up with Lawyer and prep petition and strategize.
- Demonstrate your criminal trial and post-conviction skills
- Understand the firm’s internal processes and communication styles
- Gain relevant case knowledge quickly
- Review past and current cases to understand how cases have been resolved
Critical Selection Criteria
1. Experience criminal defense 5+ years
2. Passion for criminal defense. A lawyer's lawyer.
3. Strong understanding of criminal trials
4. Experience with postconviction matters and appeals